When it comes to colour, there is a lot to think about as you develop or design your WordPress Theme. It's like painting a house. Which colour will cover the entire exterior? What colour do you want the door? Or the window trim? Accents and complementary colours or contrasting colours?
The colours that go into a website are not limited to the colour of the background and text. You have to consider all the colours used together. For example the links on your site can have three colour choices:
It's important to make sure everything is in harmony. Your header or masthead may be filled with colour while the rest of the site may be less colourful. Titles, headings, and lists, all can be in colour. And don't forget about the bullets on your lists - they are often coloured, too. With so many colour choices, finding a colour scheme or theme can be a challenge.
To help you pick your website colours, here is a list of colour tools and resources to get you started.
- Kuler - Flash application to create and select colour palettes - also includes an Adobe AIRapplication for desktop use
- Online Color Scheme Generator
- Wellstyled.com's Color Scheme Generator 2
- How to Get Colour Schemes from Photos
- Color Match - gets six matching web colors (MSIE only)
- Picture to Color - recolors WordPress theme using pictures (Coming Soon)
- Colour Lovers - Browse others' color palettes, latest web trend color schemes, download palettes for your application
- Color Charts by HTML Color Codes
- Bob Stein's Visibone Colour Charts
- Dynamic Color Chart Of HTML Color Codes
- GenoPal - Get pleasant colors
- Flash Palette Generator
- Free Application for Mac and Windows users for color picking and changing colors
- Colorzilla for Mozilla Firefox - Color Picker
- Colorhexa for Google Chrome
- Color Cop, multi-purpose color picker for web designers and programmers
- Iconico ColorPic - Great, simple and free
- Online HTML Color Codes Picker